Welcome everyone to this webinar entitled “Arm Yourself Against Cancer.” I’m Dr. Trish Murray – physician, author, and the Health Catalyst Speaker. I just want to welcome everyone, and there’s a lot of material here so let’s just dive right in!
Cancer refers to a group of related diseases where some of the body’s cells become abnormal. They begin to incessantly divide and eventually enter into the surrounding tissues. This can start almost anywhere within the body. The abnormal cells that would have otherwise died off survive, multiply, and initiate the growth of a tumor. It is really important to understand that each of us produce, as part of our normal metabolic processes, cancer cells. Actually, we produce anywhere from a few hundred to as many as 10,000 cancerous cells each and every day! But if your immune system is functioning properly, it recognizes each and every one of these cancerous cells and removes them from your body. The reason that everyone does not get cancer is because a healthy immune system is designed to prevent it.
Tumors, also known as neoplasms, are swollen masses of tissue that have been a result of uncontrollable cell division. Malignant, or cancerous, tumors are classified by the type of cancer present as well as their state of development. Depending on the type of cancer, they could be either a solid tumor or a fluid-filled tumor. Tumors have the ability to invade other nearby tissues, facilitate the further movement of cancer cells throughout the body, and in turn encourage the growth of new tumors contributing to a very vicious cycle. Non-cancerous tumors are tumors that are considered benign.
The difference between cancerous cells versus normal cells. First of all, the major differences between cancer cells and otherwise healthy cells include:
- Growth. Normal cells stop reproducing or growing when there are enough cells present. However, cancer cells do not. They continue to grow, which in turn begins the formation of a tumor.
- Communication. Normal cells react and respond to nearby cell signals, whereas cancer cells do not.
- Cellular repair. When a cell is damaged, a normal cell either is repaired or dies off naturally. In contrast, cancer cells are unable to be repaired or go through what is called apoptosis which is controlled cell death.
- Cohesion and spreading. Normal cells secrete substances that help them stick together, keeping them in their primary location of the body where they belong. Cancer cells, however, fail to do this increasing the rate these cells freely travel throughout the body or what’s called metastasize.
- Unlike normal cells, cancer cells vary in cell size and shape from one another. Also, the nucleus of cancer cells appears much larger and darker than that of normal cells.
- Normal cells mature whereas cancer cells tend to rapidly grow and divide before cells are fully mature. This results in immature or what’s called undifferentiated cells.
- Immune system relationship. When normal cells are damaged, the immune system typically recognizes them and removes them. However, cancer cells can trick the immune system by secreting chemicals that disable the immune cells from coming to the scene of the tumor growth so they can hide from your immune system.Click To Tweet
- Normal cells inherently function properly doing the function they are designed to perform. However, cancer cells may not be considered functional at all.
In order for a normal cell to become an abnormal cancerous cell, many changes must occur. Some of them are the following:
- Allowance of rapid growth. The cells must possess a growth factor that promotes them to grow beyond what is normal or necessary.
- Failure to stop that growth. The proteins that would otherwise instruct the cells to halt growth and die are inhibited and, in turn, become abnormal.
- Disregard for bodily signals. The cells also evade other signals received from other cells in the body.
- Lack of adhesion. The normal adhesion properties of the cells are lost.
There are all attributed to or caused by gene mutations. It is overall difficult for the normal cell to become a cancerous cell. If it happens naturally in our bodies everyday but not all over the place. But the gene mutations are possible and necessary changes in order for it to occur.
Now let’s talk about gene mutations and what causes them. Gene mutations can occur for many different reasons, but there are two main ways that gene mutations can occur and they are:
- Inherited gene mutations. Some genetic mutations are passed down hereditarily, from one generation to the next through our parents. However, this accounts for a small percentage of cancers.Click To Tweet
- Environmentally-provoked gene mutations. Some of the causes of these gene mutations include carcinogens, viral or other infections, hormones, obesity, inactivity, and chronic inflammation. We’re going to be going through and discussing more of these in detail throughout our time together today.
Surprisingly, mutations occur quite regularly throughout the normal cell growth. The cells, however, do have the ability to recognize, identify, and repair these mistakes. Unfortunately, cancer occurs when these mistakes go unnoticed.
Now that’s a lot of heavy science stuff I’ve present there so far, folks. These factors do not need to be present in order for cancer to develop. Meaning these common cancer risks I’m about to go over. These are some of the factors known to definitely increase a person’s risk of cancer.
- Overall, as we age, it is known that our cancer risk increases.
- Lifestyle choices. Habits such as smoking, drinking alcohol, poor diet, excessive sun exposure, remaining overweight, unsafe sex, and inactivity all play a role in cancer risk.Click To Tweet
- Family history. While the hereditary gene mutations are not as common, it is still worth being aware of your family’s health history because it can be very relevant to your cancer risk.
- These include exposure to secondhand smoke, harmful chemicals, and other environmental toxins.
Let’s get to the positive here – believe it or not, cancer is preventable!Click To Tweet According to a study conducted in 2008 by M.D. Anderson Cancer Center researchers, 90-95% of all cancer cases are due to lifestyle and environmental factors.
Evidence concluded that cancer-related deaths were due to the following factors:
- 25-30% were due to tobacco
- 30-35% were due to diet. I’m shocked that there are doctors out there that would say to someone that your diet doesn’t matter in your overall chronic health. It absolutely does!
- 15-20% were due to infections
- Remaining percentages were due to stress, lack of physical activity, environmental pollution, and radiation exposure.
There have been many studies continually being released with this common theme – cancer is preventable! At the end of this and tomorrow on our Discover Health Facebook Group…if you haven’t joined just request to join! Everybody’s welcome. The day after these webinars I always post a list of the resources and the links of the resources and articles used to put this talk together.
Now a lot of what I’ve discussed in this presentation comes from this book, Cancer: Step Outside the Box by Ty Bollinger. Ty Bollinger lost both of his parents to stomach cancer. His father at only 52 years old, within weeks after his diagnosis in 1996 and then five years later his mother received the same diagnosis but did live a number of years later and passed away in 2004. From experiencing these devastating losses, Ty Bollinger set out on a mission to learn all he could about cancer and how it can be prevented or treated. What he learned is that there is a lot out there about natural and non-toxic treatments that the general public does not know about without searching for them.Click To Tweet He has spent sixteen years researching and gathering all the information and has summarized it in this book, Cancer: Step Outside the Box.
Throughout the book he discusses the traditional medical treatments of cancer and then explains the biology of cancer and the non-toxic treatments of cancer. How important nutrition and diet are for preventing and treating cancer and also a number of supplements to treat and prevent cancer. Throughout all of the information he provides resources and links to read further on the scientific research to support the different options he summarizes in the book. If you’re listening and you or a loved one are facing cancer or are concerned about your risk of developing cancer, you must get this book!
Before we go onto the next slide, here are just a few examples of the information he presents:
- According to Dr. John Baylor who spent twenty years on the staff of the National Cancer Institute and was editor of its journal, speaking at the annual meeting of the American Association for the Advancement of Science back in 1985 said, “my overall assessment is the that national cancer program must be judged a qualified failure.”
- In his book, Understanding Cancer, a different doctor Dr. John Laszlo who was a former Vice President of research for the American Cancer Society indicates that when chemotherapy and radiation are given together secondary tumors are 25x more likely than the normal rate.
- According to a study conducted by the Department of Radiation Oncology at Northern Sydney Cancer Center and published in December 2004 issue of Clinical Oncology, the actual impact of chemotherapy on five-year survival rate in American adults is only 2.1%
Now that we have established that the vast majority of cancer can be prevented, let’s talk about what you can do to truly arm yourself against this devastating disease. If you have been diagnosed with a form of cancer, then you must realize that cancer is a disease that always results from a compromised immune system and an increased level of toxicity. The number one way to cure it and heal from it is to optimize your immune system through the following list of options:
- Maintain a healthy weight
- Reduce inflammation
- Improve gut health
- Address food sensitivities and intolerances
- Refine your diet
- Reduce toxic exposure
- Manage stress
- Stop drinking alcohol
- Quit smoking
- Up your clean water intake
- Limit direct sun exposure
- Exercise regularly
- Adopt a healthy sleep routine
Essentially, get on the journey to cleaning up your habits in your personal environment.
According to the National Cancer Institute, obesity is one of the major risk factors for cancer. Although the association with obesity is dependent on the type of cancer, the following mechanisms are thought to generally contribute to cancer growth:
- Excessive estrogen production within fat cells
- Increased levels of insulin and insulin-like growth factor-1 (IGF-1)
- Adipokines (hormones from fat cells) that have an ability to stimulate or inhibit cell growth
- Fat cells’ influence on cell growth regulators, such as mTOR and AMP-activated protein kinase
- Chronic low-level inflammation
- Altered immune response
- Heightened oxidative stress
Now I know that some of this may sound unfamiliar, but it is most important to recognize there are many ways that obesity, or an unhealthy amount and distribution of body fat, can be detrimental to your long-term health and significantly raises your risk of cancer.Click To Tweet
Inflammation is a vital immune response. It is our body’s natural way to defend against invaders, heal from harm, and repair damage.Click To TweetIf you step off the curb and you twist your ankle, and it gets red and hot and swollen and warm that is normal. It’s an acute inflammatory response to an injury. Chronic inflammation, however, is not helpful.To have inflammation consistently, the body’s ability to recognize, attack, and defend is weakened significantly. When the body remains in a “high alert” state for an extended period of time, the immune system becomes impaired and lasting damage occurs. Click To Tweet
This state of chronic inflammation draws parallels with many of the chronic diseases we see today, including cancer. If it is not addressed, more complications occur such as insulin resistance, autoimmune complications, and tumor progression. Chronic inflammation will also take our cells into a more anaerobic state of respiration. What this means is that our cells can produce energy in two ways. Let’s go over that.
Aerobic respiration is a method that requires good oxygen supply to happen and is the most productive and efficient way of producing fuel for your body. The second way to produce energy is anaerobic respiration. This uses glucose or sugar through a fermentation process that does not require oxygen to occur. This method is much less efficient and does not produce as much energy as aerobic respiration. It is also thought to be the main method that cancer cells use for energy production.
Dr. Otto Warburg, a cancer biochemist back in 1931 and a Nobel Prize winner in medicine, first discovered that cancer cells have a fundamentally different energy respiration than healthy cells. He discovered that cancer cells are anaerobic, thus whatever causes this anaerobic respiration to occur is the cause of all cancers. His thesis was that cancer is a fermentative disease caused by cells that have mutated and changed from aerobic respiration to anaerobic respiration, resulting in glucose fermentation and uncontrolled cell growth. He theorized that tumors are nothing more than a walled off toxic waste dump inside the body that is being sustained by the fermenting of what? Sugar.
This primary concept of all cancer treatment methods was discussed in Cancer: Step Outside the Box. The question is – what can bring more oxygen to all the cells in the body to optimize their function and kill any and all cancer cells naturally to prevent and treat any cancer? What are the primary steps that will optimize aerobic respiration, meaning get more oxygen to all of your cells and decrease inflammation? Well, guess what? Boosting your gut health and eating right, adopting an anti-inflammatory diet that is low in sugar and low in toxins, taking proper supplementation to optimize the aerobic respiration of your cells, doing regular detoxing, treating infections optimally, managing your stress healthily, and maintaining physical fitness and moving and getting your cells to use more oxygen in order to respirate and breathe.
In his book, Cancer: Step Outside the Box, Ty Bollinger summarizes many non-toxic treatments for cancer. I’m going to take a moment here and just list off a partial list of this section of his book and the names of these different non-toxic natural ways to optimize the oxygenation of your cells. Later, I’ll go over some of these in more detail. Take a look at this list, I’m going to list off fifteen different things and that’s just a partial list!
- Aloe arborescens. This is a synergistic combination of natural honey and a special form of aloe called aloe arborscens that has been proven to boost immune system function.
- Bio oxidative therapies
- The Bradnt Care Grape Cure
- Enzyme metabolic therapy
- Essiac tea
- Frequency generators such as pulsed electromagnetic frequency. Many of you may have heard of the BEMER. The BEMER is a pulsed electromagnetic frequency mat. It’s only one of many that are out there on the market, but it’s probably the most heard of.
- Gerson Therapy
- The hemp plant has had a bad rap for too long. The hemp plant is one of the items and plants that can help as a non-toxic treatment of cancer.
- Saunas or heating the body up to get rid of cancerous cells.
- Intravenous vitamin C
- Insulin potentiation therapy
- Sodium bicarbonate
- Ultraviolet blood irradiation therapy
- Vitamin B17, also called laetrile
I do not have the time to discuss all of these in this presentation. The point of reading all that out is so you realize how many things that are non-toxic and natural that are discussed in Ty Bollinger’s book Cancer: Step Outside the Box. But I will summarize some of them in a little bit as we go through some more slides.
The gut microbiome is an ecosystem of organisms including bacteria, yeast, fungi, viruses, and protozoan throughout the digestive tract in particular. Far beyond just your digestive health, the immune system, among other organ systems, are closely related to gut health. Because of this close association between our microbiome and immunity, research suggests that the gut has a very significant role in determining cancer risk.Click To Tweet A few of the most common enemies to gut health include:
- The Standard American Diet (SAD)
- Excessive use of prescription medications
- Toxic exposure
- Untreated infections
- Chronic stress
- Inadequate digestive enzyme activity. Ty Bollinger in his book Cancer: Step Outside the Box talks about this a lot in any of the different treatment and preventative ways for cancer. Of the multitude of options that are presented to treat cancer in Ty Bollinger’s book, digestive enzymes come up again and again as imperative to optimal prevention and treatment of cancer. Some researchers and physicians state over and over that cancer cells progress due to a dysfunctional immune system and a lack of pancreatic enzymes in order to digest the cancerous cells.
What we eat (as well as what we don’t) can either fuel or discourage the development of cancer. Research has concluded there is solid evidence that certain dietary habits have a sizable impact on cancer risk. For example, the encouraged cancer-prevention diet is plant-based and provides essential minerals, vitamins, antioxidants, and phytonutrients.Click To Tweet Some things that are the major points of this would include:
- Non-starchy vegetables (such as broccoli, spinach, and beans)
- Whole fruits
- Fruits and vegetables containing vitamin C (such as oranges, berries, peas, bell peppers, and dark leafy greens)
- Vegetables rich in lycopene (a phytonutrient in tomatoes, guava, and watermelon)
- Vegetables rich in carotenoids (such as carrots, Brussels sprouts, and squash)
- Unprocessed grains
- Healthy oils (such as olive oil and coconut oil)
Another thing to really emphasize is that it is also recommended that we eat mostly raw fruits and vegetables. 70-80% raw because cooking actually destroys the enzymes that the fruits and vegetables supply. Remember I mentioned that enzymes are extremely important for us to be getting digestively and from our foods.
Conversely, on the other side of the coin, these foods heighten the risk of cancer and should be avoided as much as possible:
- High calorie processed foods
- Added sugars (remember sugar feeds anaerobic fermentation and inflammation and feeds cancer cells)
- Excess salt
- Red meat and all industrially raised meat. If you have access to a local farmer that grass feeds their animals, then please buy your meat from them and support them. If you live in our local area and you would like some suggestions and you’re not familiar with who around us raises animals for processing that are grass-fed then contact us. You can reach out to us at [email protected]. If you don’t live in our local area, make sure that you research in your local area for farmers that may be raising grass-fed animals.
I’ll highlight a few of the foods and herbs discussed in Ty Bollinger’s book now. Let’s go through some of these that he talks about specifically. I will tell you as I was reading this material it was blowing me away. First of all, apricot and apple seeds which are considered high in vitamin B17 (laetrile). This is one of the first alternative cancer treatments that Ty Bollinger learned about after his dad died back in 1996. Again, it’s called vitamin B17 or laetrile and comes from the seeds of certain fruits.
Dr. Ernst Krebs back in the 1940s and 50s theorized that cancer was caused by the lack of an essential food component in modern man’s diet, identified as part of the nitriloside family, which is found in over 1,200 edible plants. Krebs learned of the kingdom of Hunza in the Himalayan mountains of northern Pakistan who were said to be cancer free. He heard of this place, the kingdom of Hunza, and the people that lived there had the lowest or no cancer rate whatsoever. He then learned of their diet and that they regularly eat the pits of the apricot seeds which are one of the richest sources of nitrilosides. Nitrilosides are especially prevalent in the seeds of the apricot, peaches, apples, millet, bean sprouts, buckwheat, and bitter almonds. Dr. Krebs also was able to determine how to extract the nitrilosides from the plants and applied for a patent for clinical use. He called it laetrile or also vitamin B17.
You may have heard that eating the seeds of apricots or apples is not safe and that they have a dangerous amount of cyanide. In Cancer: Step Outside the Box, this is stated as patently false. Studies show that vitamin B17 is harmless to healthy cells. Here’s why – each molecule of vitamin B17 contains one unit of hydrogen cyanide, one unit of benzaldehyde, and two units of glucose that are all tightly locked together. In order for the hydrogen cyanide to become dangerous, it is first necessary to unlock the molecule and to release it. This can only be done by a particular enzyme called beta glucosidase which is present all over the human body only in very minute quantities. Guess what? In huge quantities at only one place and that’s in cancer cells. Healthy cells produce the enzyme rhodanese which has the ability to completely break down the cyanide into harmless substances of thiocyanate and salicylate. Malignant cells contain no rhodanese enzyme at all and leaves them at the mercy of the cyanide poison. Your healthy cells have ways to neutralize the dangerous cyanide and the malignant cells do not.
In order to optimize the performance of vitamin B17, a person should also add zinc and pancreatic enzymes. Zinc carries the vitamin B17 around the body and the blood and pancreatic enzymes are imperative as they serve as the first layer of defense the body has against cancer. There are two sites that are listed in the book Cancer: Step Outside the Box, where a person can purchase B17. We will post these sites in our Discover Health Facebook Group.
Chlorella and spirulina are forms of algae and they both contain an enormous amount of chlorophyll. Chlorophyll is one of the greatest substances for cleansing the bowel and other elimination systems such as the liver and the blood. It is also instrumental in transporting oxygen to the body and brain enhancing aerobic respiration. There is an online book entitled Superfoods for Optimal Health: Chlorella and Spirulina by Mike Adams. It available for free!
I hope you like hot food because cayenne…this culinary spice has been used for centuries. Did you know that cayenne is perhaps the most valuable medicinal herb in the herb kingdom? It acts as a catalyst and enhances the effectiveness of other herbs. The active ingredient in cayenne is called capsaisin. In 2004, Dr. Srivastava and colleagues at the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine treated pancreatic cells with capsaisin and the results of their study were published in the April 20, 2005 issue of the Innovations Report. In this article, Dr. Srivastava stated, “Our results demonstrate that capsaisin is a potent anti-cancer agent, induces apoptosis (natural cell death) of cancer cells and produces no significant damage to normal pancreatic cells indicating its potential use as a novel chemotherapeutic agent for pancreatic cancer.”
They also talk about cayenne tea which one of the providers talk about one teaspoon of cayenne in a cup of hot water. I will tell you, I tried this, and I would not use a full teaspoon! Unless you really like hot food and a hot taste. I’d take maybe 1/8 of a teaspoon and put it in my tea, I drink an herbal non-caffeinated coffee made from dandelion roots. In my evening drink or my morning drink, I do take about 1/8 of a teaspoon of cayenne powder and it’s really quite delicious, but I don’t know that I would go to a full teaspoon unless you really love the taste of cayenne and hot food.
Let’s get to this Brandt Care Grape Cure. In the 1920’s, Johanna Brandt of South Africa said she cured herself of stomach cancer by eating lots of grapes. Grapes are known to have resveratrol. According to Dr. John Pezzuto of the University of Illinois at Chicago, the naturally occurring phenol of resveratrol in grapes, “has multiple modes of action inhibiting cancer growth at a lot of different stages,” which is unusual. It is also believed that resveratrol activates the p53 gene which induces apoptosis or natural cell death. Especially Concord grapes contain several other nutrients that are known to kill cancer cells such as ellagic acid, lycopene, selenium, catechin, quercetin, gallic acid, and vitamin B17. What an amazing cancer fighting arsenal!Click To Tweet Of course, be sure to only ingest organic grapes and be sure to eat the whole grape – skin, seeds, and all of it in a preventative method. If you want to learn more about how to use the specific Brandt Care Grape Cure…it involves a very specific protocol that involves fasting and eating large amounts of grape mush, whole grapes, along with other supplements.
For more information on this, you’ll need to read the full book, Ty Bollinger’s book, in its entirety as there are numerous non-toxic cancer treatment methods presented and links to further research and learning. Just from these summaries, I would not recommend implementing it. I definitely have been getting Concord grapes and eating the whole grape now as a preventative. If you do have a diagnosis of cancer and you want to implement a specific Brandt Care Grape Cure, then there’s a lot more information you would need to know.
Let’s go onto another one. Essiac tea. Back in 1922 a Canadian nurse named Rene Caisse noticed scar tissue on the breast of an elderly woman. This woman told her that doctors had diagnosed her with breast cancer many years before. She explained she had met an old Indian medicine man who told her that he could cure her cancer with an herbal tea that included sheep sorrel weed. Later, the nurse was walking with a retired doctor who pointed to that same sheep sorrel weed and said, “Nurse Caisse, if people would use this weed, there would be little or no cancer in the world.” The doctor explain that he had watched his horse cure itself of cancer by repeatedly grazing on sheep sorrel weed. Rene Caisse went on to create a recipe for what she called Essiac tea which includes sheep sorrel weed, slippery elm bark, Turkish rhubarb root, and burdock root. She treated thousands of cancer patients in Canada over many years. In 1937, an American Chicago doctor named John Wolfer, who was the director of the Tumor Clinic at Northwestern University Medical School arranged for Nurse Caisse to treat thirty terminal cancer patients under the direction of five doctors. After supervising eighteen months of Essiac therapy, the Chicago doctors concluded that the herbal mixture, “prolonged life, shrank tumor, and relieved pain.” Rene Caisse never commercialized her recipe and never divulged it to any large cancer institute. Anyone can learn this recipe today by simply visiting the Rene M. Caisse Memorial Room. The recipe is also given in Ty Bollinger’s book Cancer: Step Outside the Box.
There are many other foods, non-toxic treatments, and supplements discussed in Cancer: Step Outside the Box. I have highlighted and discussed only a small number of them during this presentation. As I said earlier, if you or someone you know is either at high risk of cancer or is dealing presently with a cancer diagnosis please be sure to get this book and read it. It may just help and save your life.
Let’s get back to the basics of optimizing your immune system, aerobic respiration, and decreasing your toxicity. Based on extensive research, there is strong scientific evidence connecting drinking alcohol with several types of cancer. According to the National Toxicology Program of the United States Department of Health and Human Services, alcohol is listed as a known human carcinogen.
The research indicates that the more someone drinks regularly, the higher the risk they have of developing cancer. It was once believed that limited alcohol consumption was an appropriate part of a cancer prevention plan. However, emerging studies have concluded that even minimal consumption (even within national guidelines of one drink for women per day and two drinks for men per day) still raises cancer risk. Therefore,
if you really have a concern about cancer, it is best to skip out on the drinks altogether.
There is no safe level of tobacco use at all. Tobacco use is the leading cause of cancer as well as death from cancer. The chemical within tobacco products contain chemicals that directly damage DNA, which is unsurprisingly the main contributor to cancer development.Click To TweetFor more information on the harms of tobacco and the health benefits of quitting, visit this website.
A growing body of research has supported the importance of physical activity in cancer prevention. Some of the benefits of exercise for specifically reducing the risk of cancer include:
- Regulating blood levels of different hormones
- Reducing exposure to dietary carcinogens by accelerating your metabolism and optimizing your aerobic respiration
- Prevention of body fat accumulation
How do YOU get movement in? If you are looking for a way to get moving that will help your balance, your strength, and your flexibility and empower you to be active in your own home (especially during this crazy time of COVID-19 if you’re not able to get out as much as you’d like) we have created our Discover Health Movement Membership which includes online live and recorded classes each week of yoga, self-myofascial release, and movement for longevity. If you want to learn more about this, if you feel like you are looking for more ways on how to move better and to do it in your own home and connect with others online via zoom during this crazy COVID time, then go to our website to learn more. You’ll see videos about it, you’ll read about our instructors, and find out everything you would need to know.
Quality sleep is essential to proper immune function, healing, and mental health. Ensuring you schedule at least seven to eight hours of sound sleep every night also reduces your risk of cancer!Click To TweetWe are told our whole lives how important sleep is for our health, but science is now, too, on slumber’s side. Studies have been addressing the relationship of insufficient sleep habits with some of the top cancers in the United States. Still, 1 in 10 people experience sleep disturbances. The most shocking part of this all is that some of these sleep issues can be avoided! Some strategies to improve your sleep include:
- Create a sleep schedule and stick to it
- Limit screen time before bedtime by at least an hour
- Reduce caffeine and sugar intake later in the day
- Adopt a nighttime ritual
- Try essential oils
- Drink herbal tea
- Leisurely read before bed or in bed (puts me to sleep all the time!)
- Supplement with melatonin and/or magnesium
And of course, stress now. The prevention of cancer is truly a holistic process. While it is incredibly important to eat nutritious food, drop unhealthy habits, adopt an exercise routine, and get adequate sleep, none of this would be effective without proper stress management. Stress is the primary driver for chronic inflammation and in turn, disease.Click To TweetSome ways to relieve stress include:
- Practicing yoga
- Taking a walk in the woods or wherever you can get out and walk
- Spending time with loved ones (at this time if you are feeling isolated, please reach out to some form of community even if it is on the zooms of the world)
- Listening to calming music
- Getting a massage
- Reading a good book
- Cooking a yummy meal (and preferably share it with others)
- And so much more!
In fact, in chapter 7 of Cancer: Step Outside the Box by Ty Bollinger, Dr. Rashid Buttar, another doctor that he interviewed in his book, explains the seven toxicities that can lead to cancer. He states, “my experience having worked with several thousand patients from all over the world has taught me that the vast majority of toxins come from seven major sources.” This is the list:
- Heavy metals
- Persistent organic pollutants (primarily coming from pesticides)
- Opportunistic infections
- Energetic toxicity
- Emotional toxicity
- Food toxicity
- Spiritual toxicity
Tomorrow we will be posting in our Discover Health Facebook Group the following resources that were used to assemble this class for you. I’ll be listing some from Ty Bollinger’s book but also some from other sources that we used. Again, if you have not yet joined our Discover Health Facebook Group please make sure you do so you get access to all of this information.
Thank you so much for taking time to experience Arm Yourself Against Cancer. I am passionate about sharing this topic with people who are eager to ensure they reach and sustain optimal health! If you have any further questions, please contact us through our Discover Health Facebook Group or email us at [email protected].
You can also go to my website (https://discoverhealthfmc.com) where there is an enormous amount of educational material and a Health Library you can assess my podcast and more! If you have never been a patient of ours before, there is also an option to schedule a 30-minute free introductory consult with either myself or our health coach, Trish Chaput. We are here to support you and we just want to help you on your journey to optimize your health!
I really appreciate everyone being here. I truly hope you’ve enjoyed this. I have not considered myself a functional medicine cancer specialist. I work mostly on autoimmune disease and inflammation, but I’ve always known that chronic inflammation is connected to cancer. Now that I’ve read Ty Bollinger’s book and I’m following a lot of the links and reading the research, and actually have had my own run-ins with cancer in my life, I tell you – I’m going to be researching this more and more because it’s just blowing me away at how many non-toxic natural modalities there are that can help people. Have a wonderful evening, day, or afternoon depending on what time it is where you are!
June 18 will be our next regular webinar on the third Thursday of June. June 18 at 6:00 PM EST. That webinar is on the Safety in the Sun, sun related cancers, and sun safety. Finally, June is a busy month! I am really excited because I am coming out with my next book! We’re going to launch the book on June 25 and 26 through Amazon, and you can get a kindle copy. This is a collaborative book; I’m not the only author. There are about six or seven authors in this book. The evening of June 25 I’m going to be interviewing each of the authors and present our chapters and what we’ve talked about in the book. If you’d like to catch that, we’re going to be sending out more information soon! With that – thank you so much! Have a wonderful evening or afternoon.
- MD Anderson Cancer Study
- Cancer: Step Outside the Box by Ty Bollinger
- Understanding Cancer by John Laszlo
- Department of Radiation Oncology at Northern Sydney Cancer Center Study
- Free Online Book Superfoods for Optimal Health: Chlorella and Spirulina by Mike Adams
- Fact Sheet on the Harms of Tobacco and Health Benefits of Quitting
- Cancer Prevention Recommendations
- What is Cancer?
- What is a Tumor?
- Cancer Cells vs. Normal Cells
- Is Cancer Preventable? The Research Says Yes
- Obesity and Cancer
- The Microbiome and Cancer
- Emerging Roles of the Microbiome in Cancer
- How Our Gut Bacteria Affect Cancer Risk and Response to Treatment
- Cancer and Diet
- Strategies to Prevent and Treat Cancer
- Physical Activity and Cancer Prevention
- Physical Activity and Cancer Prevention – Data from Epidemiologic Studies
- Cancer Treatment Centers of America
- Discover Movement Online Membership
- Discover Health Calendar for more information about upcoming events
- Schedule your FREE 30-minute phone consultation
- Discover Health Online Shop
- Trish Murray’s book: Make a D.E.N.T. in Chronic Disease
- Browse our selection of resources: Health Library
- Trish’s Level 1 Free Exercise Videos
- Stay up to date on events and group classes: Discover Health Calendar
- For more information about endocrine disruptors: Environmental Working Group
Love the show? Subscribe, rate, review, and share!
Join the Discover Health Community today: